Monday, January 14, 2013

Jeepers Creepers and Manic Monday


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
I love playing games with the students...especially games that make them think and practice having discussions. So last week I was pretty excited when my principal grabbed me and handed me this board game that she had won.
I'm not sure if you have ever since it (I know I hadn't seen this version before) but it's sooo much fun! It's called Jeepers Peepers and it's an ask and answer game. Click on the link to give you a better description.
Main Product Image
                        This picture is from the website Super Duper Publications

This game includes 6 pairs of big glasses (as seen in the picture), 101 photo cards with topics such as: food, transportation, people, things, and animals. It also includes a bingo card, a spinner and counters to use for covering the board. 
I didn't use all of that, we just played whole group. I modeled first by placing the card in my glasses without seeing it. And just began asking questions. 

Asking specific questions is really hard for Kindergarten. They just want to ask questions such as: Is it a dog? Is it a fish? etc.
I modeled asking questions such as: Is it an animal? (yes/no) and depending on what they said, I continued with my questioning. So if the answer was yes, I said ok, does it swim?

This game is great because as we played I could continue to model appropriate questions. Even when some of the students were wearing the glasses, I discussed the types of questions they should always first, like "Is it an animal?" or "Is it a person?" 

We played a few rounds. Here is a picture of one of my girls with the card. So being that her card was a tree---I modeled asking the same questions as above, but when the others said no to an animal and no to a person, I asked  Is it a thing?" "Do you find it inside?" No. "Outside?" Yes. And the questioning went on and on.

This ask and answer game is awesome for my kiddos and goes right along with the CCSS for grades K-5. Kindergarten CCSS for this game is understanding question words, continuing a conversation through multiple exchanges, and followed agreed upon rules during discussions (such as listening). 

I liked this too because as much as my students like to talk this year...whew...this is the game for them. 

Now on to Manic Monday. I haven't linked up the past few Mondays because well....I forget!

We just began having classroom helpers in our room and so I thought I'd make this up for you guys when I saw the3amteacher's new clipart. So here you guys go...just a quick little something to use for classroom helpers in your room!




Happy Monday!!! 

7 comments:

  1. The glasses are adorable! I am sure my kiddos would LOVE this game. Thanks for sharing :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of that game-seems like a lot of fun! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun game! It reminds me a bit of Headbandz. My kiddos have the hardest time with specific questions too!

    Also I just wanted to let you know I'm having a giveaway for my new transportation unit! Come check it out if you have time! :)

    ~Jessica
    Fun in PreK-1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those glasses are a hoot! What a great strategy game for little ones to develop the use of good questioning skills. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete