Thursday, March 14, 2013

Dinosaurs Galore!

We have loved learning about dinosaurs the past two weeks---me especially. This is such a fun theme to teach--the kiddos are into it, I see serious improvement in their writing (mainly because they like the topic) and it's just fun!!

Here's a peek at what we've been up to---fantabulous writing!!

My dinosaur eats meat. Dinos are big. Dinos have sharp teeth. Dinos can run. Dinos have two legs.
(Check out the arms on that T-Rex---funny!)
          My dinosaur is big. My dinosaur have two legs. My dinosaur is brown.
                         (That pink item is a piece of meat!)
       Dinosaurs can lay babies (lol) also they can be reptiles. 
                           They are animals.
 
                                                     Dinosaurs can walk. Dinosaurs eat meat. 
                                                           Dinosaurs are creatures.

I was so excited when I saw these writings plus the others I didn't take pictures of. My kiddos are doing great. I love their inventive spelling (the word dinosaur is up everywhere in the room) and how they reference the room for words that they know are available.

Today we learned about Paleontologists and what their jobs are. Of course the dinosaur poop was the biggest hit. 

 

Then we used some of Deanna Jump's Dinosaur Unit and created out own T-Rex fossils and then used chocolate chip cookies to excavate fossils.

  I think my little T-Rex in the middle had back problems before he became a fossil.

    Unfortunately this paleontologist in the making broke the rock and the fossils within it.
 
But this dear kiddo was intent on digging out those fossils without breaking anything.


The kiddos really enjoyed these activities as did I. 

Don't forget to check out my Dino-Families activity pack to use when reviewing word families.




You can grab it here from TPT or here on TN. 

 

   
   

2 comments:

  1. Oh! How I wish I were a kindergarten student!!! Love your projects!

    ReplyDelete